This is a new one for us. We try at least one new recipe every year at Christmas. A healthy recipe crossed our email through pintrest, that being blueberries are a healthy source of all kinds of vitamins, that looked really enticing and the picture above is the product.
Pintrest is a great way to spark the imagination. Remember, not all of those recipes are tried and true. This Blueberry Cream Cheese Bar recipe was no exception. We weren’t thrilled with the overall taste. Give it a try if you like. The recipe is included below. Remember, we warned ya. Let us know if they turn out good for you.
Note: We did make a correction to the original recipe which should make it turn out tasty. Let us know how it goes.
Yield: 12 bars
1 can of Pillsbury Crescent rolls or 1 sheet of ready rolled puff pastry
8oz cream cheese, room temperature
3 – 4 Tablespoons powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
Squeeze of lemon
1 Tablespoon Regular Sugar
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
Sugar for sprinkling
1. Pre heat oven to 350 F or 180 C.
Unroll and spread the crescent rolls or puff pastry sheets flat then cut in half. Then with one half of the pastry, line the bottom of a greased 8 x 8 baking pan. I also line the pan with foil first so it is easier to lift out after baking.
2. In a mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the blueberries, butter and regular sugar. Mix well with a spoon or whisk.
3. Spread the mixture evenly over the crescent roll / puff pastry layer. Then add the blueberries all over, and add the 1 Tablespoon of regular sugar over the blueberries.
4. Carefully place the other layer of pastry on top of the cream cheese mixture, then using a brush, spread the melted butter on the pastry and then a sprinkling of sugar.
5. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown.Allow to cool for 15 – 20 minutes before trying to slice, so it can firm up a little. Serve as it is or with a nice blob of whipped cream!